Saturday, April 5, 2008

growing green



Spring is FINALLY in the air...in the northeast anyway.

Flowers are starting to spring up out of the empty mulched beds, trees are sprouting those perfect little green buds that will in no time be wide, shading leaves and now my home seems...stagnent. It is still a little to chilly most days to throw open all my windows, but believe me I do until I hear "mom, my toes are cold!!!"

I am trying to green up our lives in case you didn't know, and this week my mission is to freshen the air in our home without having frost form on our tables. The best way to do this is plants!!!

Now I have the FARTHEST thing from a green thumb but these little guys seem to be durable enough to survive even me, the girls "picking flowers" and, inevitably the cats chewing on them.



Not only are houseplants an easy decorating option, they bring in vibrant colors, warm up a space but they also filter the air we breath, everyday items in our homes such a carpets, bedding and wallpaper produce mold and release toxins into our enclosed rooms that we breath in all day everyday.

Check out this list of common, beautiful houseplants that will improve the quailty of air in your home or workplace:

Gerber daisy

Bamboo palm

Spider plant

Areca palm

Reed palm

Dwarf date palm

Boston fern

Janet Craig dracaena

English ivy

Australian sword fern

Peace Lily

Rubber plant

Weeping fig



Have a Fabulous week...

and remember to stop and smell the flowers ;)

2 comments:

Saph said...

Oo, I love Gerber Daisies!!! I'll have get me a plant to have indoors.

Anonymous said...

A number of those plants are poisonous to pets. Peace lilies, weepings figs, english ivy, janet craig and rubber plants are all toxic to animals.