Friday, May 9, 2008

happy mama's day!



It's almost here! The LOVELIEST day of the year. No I am not talking about Christmas...I am talking about the the one day every year when daddy gets up with the pumpkins, throws together a special breakfast and everyone stays nice and quiet so mama can sleep in...until 8 or so!!!

What do you all do for the blessed occasion?

My family all gathers together for brunch made by all the boys at my parents home. FABULOUS!!! The boys cook, serve and clean up as well as chase kiddies while us girls sit around chatting...oh the joy!

As for the gifts we stay away from cut flowers, candy and even jewelry...not that those are not three of my favorite things, especially the jewelry, but i prefer to give things for a beautiful spring holiday that will grow and flourish as well as provide memories each year. Two years ago my mother in-law had a beautiful weeping cherry tree planted in my front yard for me...YES, I was getting one for that specific spot anyway ;)

So if you a lucky enought to have sunny weather this mother's day (we are not on the east coast) try these little tips for after your hike/ picnic that Suzi suggested:

Check into giving potted plants, a great alternative to taking the lives of innocent little flowers being cut down in their prime!!! A few weeks back I wrote an article on bringing plants into your home and workplace so I have re-listed some great ones here again:

Gerber daisy

Bamboo palm

Spider plant

Areca palm

Reed palm

Dwarf date palm

Boston fern

Janet Craig dracaena

English ivy

Australian sword fern

Peace Lily

Rubber plant

Weeping fig



I actually went to the florist yesterday and picked up nine, yes you read correctly we have mamas, grand-mamas, god-mamas & special aunts; in my opinion whether you gave birth or not, if you take care of a child in any capacity you deserve a mother's day gift, nine little peace lillies. I must say the lillies and the adorable pots I picked out for each one came to about $15.00 a piece. I was shocked that what I consider to be such a thoughtful, generous gift was so inexpensive.

Now my own little pumpkins are giving me a day outside, my FAVORITE. When the weather gets nice again, the kids and I are going back out to plant more "kid-friendly" plants. Baby #1 even made me some "coupons" good to be used for digging, weeding, raking leaves and such (he's 9 so of course he HAD to tell me early;) ) We have used up all of our planting area for this year so I went out and bought recycled, re-usable pots to make little container gardens for our patio. The girls love the LOUD flowers like marigolds and daisies so that's what we will get...LOT'S of color!

Whatever you give, receive or do for mothers day, just knowing a child makes you the luckiest, most blessed person "in the galaxy!" I thank my babies everyday for choosing me to be their mama, they always laugh, but really there wouldn't be a mother's day without those precious little devils.

Have a FABULOUS mama's day and week and hug every baby, whether 1 second or 100 years old extra tight!!!

1 comment:

Jena Isle said...

Good post! Happy mother's day too.