Sunday, February 24, 2008

lets chat energy savings





A major coffee chain has recalled children’s cups due to a risk of injury, another major toy manufacturer has recalled countless toys due to risk of lead exposure. If you are like me you have the cpsc on your favorites and check it daily.
Why do we do so much to concern ourselves with recalls but we still use toxic cleaners in our homes? Making our families safer includes making our environment safer. I am doing our part at our home and would love to help all of my posh friends by sharing the research I find. Once a week I will highlight a product that will help you and your family do what you can to make your fabulous little corners of the world healthier for yourself, your babies and the planet!!!
Enjoy my little “green” journey, and remember one tiny change will help everyone.
So here’s a “bright idea” HA! lets chat cfl’s or compact fluorescent light bulbs.
According to the energystar website:
“If every American home replaced just one light bulb with an ENERGY STAR qualified bulb, we would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year, more than $600 million in annual energy costs, and prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions of more than 800,000 cars.”

Cfls have come SO far from those horrid, tacky fixtures from high school, some are now even made to look identical to the incandescent light bulb version and I even recently learned cfls come in all different colors, wattages and shapes…you can even find them to work with a dimmer switch or a 3-way fixture… so look out dining room chandelier…you are going green soon too ;)
How great is that? They can be used in almost any room, the only recommendation offered is to use the bulb in fixtures that will be lit for at least 15minutes
I originally checked into how “great” these bulbs were because I am quite the skeptic, especially when it comes to bringing it into my home around my children!!! The only real drawback I found is that they do contain mercury. Which means you have to dispose of them properly and by going onto www.energystar.gov they make it easy to find out how. Also, if perchance they should break (personally I think they are more durable then a regular bulb) there is a special clean up recommended by the epa. Back to my point, I weigh the benefits to the risks greatly, having 4 precious pumpkins in my care, so i have begun switching our bulbs to the hot new styles of cfls!!!
Again for more detailed info check out
www.energystar.gov
Remember to REALLY be green, wait for the old bulbs to die before you replace them!!!

No comments: